Fellow of the American Academy of Osteopathy (FAAO) is an earned post-doctoral designation conferred by the American Academy of Osteopathy. Academy members who earn the FAAO designation have demonstrated outstanding understanding and execution of osteopathic principles.
Application deadline for 2022-24 FAAO candidate cycle: Nov. 15, 2021.
The fellowship process is designed to be completed in a two-year cycle. If during the initial two-year cycle, a candidate wishes an extension or deferment, the Committee on Fellowship in the AAO may grant a one-year extension for sufficient cause. The conferment of honors occurs at the end of the two-year cycle after the candidate has fulfilled all the requirements for the FAAO. This is a solemn occasion and all Fellows are expected to wear academic regalia and march in procession at the opening of the president's banquet at the AAO annual Convocation.
This is a brief summary of the application requirements, see the Information for Candidates booklet in the application packet for detailed requirements.
1. Membership in the AAO for a period of five (5) consecutive years.
2. Certification by an AOA certifying board.
3. Applicants shall show evidence of commitment to the AAO organization by meeting at least one (1) of these AAO organizational service requirements:
and of fulfilling at least three (3) of the following six (6) categories since residency:
4. Applicants shall file a signed statement of full compliance with the FAAO Code of Ethics and Professionalism policy.
5. At least five (5) years of practice are required.
6. Applicants shall provide an abstract and outline of the proposed scientific paper or thesis to be developed for publication.
7. Provide proof of CME activity where at least 50 CME specialty hours must be programs sponsored by the American Academy of Osteopathy.
8. Case histories will be three (3) total with two (2) representative of the candidate's practice and one (1) pertinent to his or her thesis.
9. Applicants will sit for interviews before formal approval of the outline of the proposed papers and acceptance of the member as a candidate in the Fellowship process.
The American Academy of Osteopathy (AAO) has awarded the 2021 Andrew Taylor Still Medallion of Honor to John M. Jones, DO, of Petal, Mississippi.
Walter C. Ehrenfeuchter, DO, FAAO, of Suwanee, Georgia, received the Fellow of American Academy of Osteopathy Distinguished (FAAO) Service Award.